Tuesday, October 27, 2009

IMB, NAMB and the impending smackdown


Why do we enjoy a good church fight so much?  I have been watching my stats in analytics lately.  Any time I use the labels NAMB and merger, my hits double what they normally are when I post something more generic.  I will always be one pushing for change and adaptation.  The world is a dynamic place.  We cannot remain a static denomination.  But some people are just going bug-eyed over this. 

This reminds me of a recent post by Grady Bauer.  He says that there was a mass reaction against the fact that a few IMB personnel used a private prayer language. He relates this to the present financial crisis at the IMB.  Where are those churches who were voracious about "purity"?  Where is their cry that the lost are going without the gospel because we are living the American dream rather than the great commission?

Perhaps if we spent more time on the great commission we will have less time to fight.  The only reason I ever posted about NAMB in the first place is because I realized, in so far as it concerns my area, that it is unclear, at best, what their influence as a mission board is on impacting lostness.  The politics wherein churches and individual power brokers are concerned with who gets what with regime changes at NAMB is purely carnal.  We should have one concern, and only one concern, to impact lostness. 

I doubt this will be a small issue in upcoming SBC events.  This is unfortunate.
ps, and yes, I tagged this post with NAMB and merger in a shameless ploy to get more hits...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting you've had no comments. I see the same on my blog...using IMB and SBC in my titles increases my hits....but not my comments.

If Dr. Rankin enjoyed a glass of wine on his next visit to Europe you would hear the outcries. If someone posted a photo of a bunch of us enjoying some good Cuban cigars you would hear the outcries. But cut our numbers, decrease our pay and no one seems to care. Maybe it's because we care more about guarding the gate than we do expanding the camp.